Crossword puzzles have long been a popular pastime for people of all ages, challenging and entertaining solvers with a mix of clues and themes. While some puzzles are relatively easy, others are so difficult that only the most skilled solvers can complete them. Here are some of the most challenging crossword puzzles of all time, each designed to test even the most experienced solver.
- The New York Times Saturday Crossword Puzzle: The Saturday crossword from The New York Times is notorious for its challenging clues, requiring deep knowledge of history, literature, and pop culture. With larger grids and more difficult clues, it is the most difficult puzzle from the newspaper, leaving even experienced solvers stumped at times.
- The Listener Crossword: Published by The Times of London, The Listener Crossword is one of the most challenging puzzles available. Each puzzle contains a theme or hidden message, and solvers must use their wits to decipher the clues. The puzzles require a deep knowledge of language and logic, making them a true test of skill for even the most experienced solver.
- The American Values Club Crossword: The American Values Club Crossword is a subscription-based puzzle that is known for its challenging themes and clues. Designed to be outside of the norm, solvers must think outside of the box and use their knowledge of trivia, wordplay, and current events to solve the puzzles. These puzzles are a true test of skill for those looking for a challenge.
- The Enigma Crossword: Published in The Guardian, The Enigma Crossword is designed to be so difficult that it can take an average of 12 hours to solve. The puzzles contain cryptic clues and require solvers to think creatively and laterally, making them one of the most challenging puzzles available.
- The Wall Street Journal Saturday Puzzle: The Saturday puzzle from The Wall Street Journal is known for its mix of clues and themes, requiring a deep knowledge of history, literature, and pop culture. Solvers must be prepared to think outside the box and use their creativity to solve the puzzles, making them a true test of skill for experienced solvers.
- The Cryptic Crossword: Popular in the UK and Australia, cryptic crosswords are known for their cryptic clues and tricky wordplay. Solvers must use their knowledge of language and logic to decipher the clues and solve the puzzles, making them a true test of skill for any solver.
- The Boston Globe Sunday Puzzle: The Sunday puzzle from The Boston Globe is known for its challenging clues and themes. Solvers must use their knowledge of literature, history, and culture to solve the puzzles, which often contain puns and wordplay. These puzzles are a true test of skill for experienced solvers.
- The Los Angeles Times Sunday Puzzle: The Sunday puzzle from The Los Angeles Times is known for its clever themes and challenging clues. Solvers must use their knowledge of the language, history, and pop culture to solve puzzles, which often contain wordplay and puns. These puzzles are a true test of skill for any solver looking for a challenge.
If you find yourself struggling to solve a crossword puzzle clue, check out our website, homepage, for help. Our site offers resources and solutions for even the most challenging crossword puzzles. These puzzles may be difficult, but with a little help and perseverance, you can solve them and experience the satisfaction of completing a truly challenging puzzle. So, are you up for the challenge?
I’m a Crossword Creator and Solver based in New Jersey. When I’m not working on puzzles, I enjoy spending time with my dog Rogan and my wife Jane, as well as reading books and binge-watching Netflix series. I have a particular passion for solving New York Times crosswords and often post my solutions on my website for other enthusiasts to enjoy.